Pistons not retracting despite there being no redstone input

If you've run into a glitch or server error, please let us know here.
kmfoley3
Old Hermit
Old Hermit
Minecraft Name: kmfoley3

23 Mar 2019, 10:00

I recently built a kelp farm, and its a bit weird of a design due to me having restricted space and wanting to cause less lag. I built and tested it in a single player world and it worked perfectly. However once I built in on the server some of the pistons would stay extended after they had fired-to break the kelp. I was especially confused because the only redstone input is from observers that are watching cactus grow, and the only reason i could come up with for the pistons staying extended is that the cactus grows and then breaks causing 2 redstone inputs at the same time but the cactus grows and breaks at essentially the same time so I was confused. Anyways essentially the pistons would fire and then some wouldn't retract even thought there was no redstone input anywhere in the system. I hope this issue can be resolved. Thank you-kmfoley3
You can’t be your neighborhood friendly hermit if there’s no neighborhood.
hoost
Senior
Senior
Minecraft Name: hoost

23 Mar 2019, 10:04

As always, coordinates are needed to look into this.

But are the pistons in claimed land? This is needed in order for them to work.
“Remember! Reality's an illusion, the universe is a hologram, buy gold! Byeeee!” - Anonymous, or is it?
kmfoley3
Old Hermit
Old Hermit

23 Mar 2019, 12:09

I’m not on rn and idk but I can tell the coordinates of the pole and where it is in region, and yes the pistons are in the claim. The region pole is at X:2,200 Z:1,800. If you go towards the island you can see from pole you will see a skyscraper and there is a hole in the ground at entrance to the skyscraper go down it and it is in the room next to the beacon and has a sign over the entrance that says “kelp farm”. Thank you-kmfoley3
Floki_Raven
Junior
Junior
Minecraft Name: Floki_Raven

24 Mar 2019, 23:28

I've recently had a similar issue. I had pistons powered by observers. Occasionally they will glitch into a state of unpowered and powered at the same time. At this point they become inoperable.
In swine we trust.
Floki_Raven
ConsumerJunk
Old Hermit
Old Hermit
Minecraft Name: ConsumerJunk

25 Mar 2019, 10:48

Are they bud powered? Does an update next to them make them retract?

Code: Select all

Fun fact, the [code] BBCode tag won't display the HTML code you just 
spent 30 minutes on.
kmfoley3
Old Hermit
Old Hermit

25 Mar 2019, 17:01

Yea, but why does that matter?
Cobbett
Senior
Senior
Minecraft Name: Cobbett

26 Mar 2019, 15:45

Mechanisms never work quite the same way on servers as they do in SP, as servers need to be more optimised because of lag. I would suspect that anything that relies on precise timings may sometimes be affected; chunk unloading might also cause problems in some rare circumstances.