AFKing

You can talk about anything here.
CraftAsEngineer
Fresh Hermit
Fresh Hermit
Minecraft Name: CraftAsEngineer

06 Feb 2019, 10:29

As a redstoner, that afking is so punished both if you inflict it with a fish farm and if you just stand still, since 15 minutes is almost no time of production (which incourages bigger more laggier farms), I feel we should at least have a talk about this issue.

My suggestion is:
-Create a plugin that allows you to /afk or /meafk, whatever the command you decide.
-When the server reaches 80% of ussage (or other porcentage) it automaticly kicks out the list of players that are /afk (or even better: kicks afks from elder to younger until the CPU usage is lower than 80%).
-If you are caught afking while not on /afk, and you've been so for more than 15 minutes you get a warning.
-After 3 warnings within 2 months you get banned (or heavily sanctionated).

At least in my opinion this rules feel more fair both to the server's CPU (since now u dont need such big farms (you can make a farm that requires 100% of the CPU(while being as lag friendly as possible, just making it huge) but only be afk during 15 minutes, which is stil within the rules)) and to the players (for obvius reasons) and makes everyone happier. :D
ConsumerJunk
Hermit
Hermit
Minecraft Name: ConsumerJunk

06 Feb 2019, 10:51

If prodictivity is what your looking for, than AFK-ing is actually pretty inefficient. I personally sort my inventory and shulkers near my cactus farm. Also, there are so few very things that cant be gained at the same speed (if not faster), through playing the game instead of AFKing
The ark has landed, and 1.13 brings a world of adventures and new creations.
CraftAsEngineer
Fresh Hermit
Fresh Hermit

06 Feb 2019, 11:20

But afking is a right you get with your minecraft account.
You can afk as long as u can in your survival world, why cant you do that in a server? CPU resources? This perfectly adresses that problem, i think, and makes everyone happier. I dont think anyone wants afk to be banned, i feel everyone agrees that as long as its not a problem for the ones playing on the server, having your account logged while you go to the gym, go for a walk, go to sleep, etc its not a problem, is probably good for the server, because the more afking is allowed, the more emeralds there are in the server's economy and thus the cheaper mending and things like mending get.
HayanTokki
Owner
Owner
Minecraft Name: HayanTokki

06 Feb 2019, 11:39

There are other reasons outside of server CPU drainage that made us ban AFKing for over 15 minutes.

1. Creates an unfair economy. Those who cannot afk are stuck being less productive in items than those who dont build but just afk all day.

2. Creates a mute server. When we weren't so hard on afk, we ended up accruing a bunch of people who were afk and didnt speak. This discouraged new players from staying long and really killed the server socially.

3. Thinning out of mobs on the server. The server spawns mobs in active chunks. An afk player has active chunks. This results in mob farms and natural spawns to thin out.

AFKing is an ability given to all, but on a server, we reserve the ability to bar certain aspects like afking. This is common practice in many other servers. If you would like to afk at a farm, you may do so on servers that allow it or on your own single player map.

We want players to be responsible for their own account. This has been our belief from the get go. We dont want to babysit you, nor do we want to monitor how long you've been at your farms. Likewise, we dont want to develop a plugin for that because it still takes the responsibility away from you to manage the activity of your own account.

At the end of the day, the frills really dont matter. This is a hobby server I created for me to enjoy. If it is enjoyable for others, that's nice, but i am still putting my priorities over it because this is something i do as a hobby. I will not take extra time or spend money to develop a plugin because people dont want to be responsible for their own time on the server. I will not be changing the rules on AFK because I am happy with where we are with how much time I need to put in with monitoring the server. I'm even actually playing minecraft on this map (wow). I am putting my foot down on this matter. This state of where we are at has been discussed with the team of seniors and some of the juniors and has been this way now happily for many months.
CraftAsEngineer
Fresh Hermit
Fresh Hermit

06 Feb 2019, 11:56

See, this makes sense. I can agree with this, but just saying "we had problems with afkers thus we put strict rules" is unfair.
Well, thanks for the explanation, and sorry for being too cocky on this reward, im usually nicer, but im on my nerves with this topic.
nebben2
Old Hermit
Old Hermit
Minecraft Name: nebben2

Yesterday, 09:12

I would love to develop a plugin for the server with regards to anti-AFK, I enjoy coding and would love to give back to the server
Antidaephobia: The fear that somewhere, somehow, a duck is watching you
hoost
Senior
Senior
Minecraft Name: hoost

Yesterday, 10:07

Unfortunately we do not use player created plug-ins and the mainstream ones we use are tightly controlled. There needs to be a lot of work done to ensure compatibility and whatnot.
“Remember! Reality's an illusion, the universe is a hologram, buy gold! Byeeee!” - Anonymous, or is it?