Help Us Help You; getting started.

You can talk about anything here.
LayaElisabeth
Senior
Senior
Minecraft Name: LayaElisabeth

21 Apr 2019, 09:07

Most of the people on this forum already went through the trial orbs, and started out at he info center, But, appearantly some players seem to have issues during this process and the INFO center after.

We've been thinking of redesigning spawn for a while now to make things even better for players to find everything BUT your inputs could be of value here.

Have you experienced some issues during the trial orbs? Was the INFO center confusing for you? Were there just too many signs overall that you felt hesitant to start reading them?
Do you feel there's information missing that should be explained or are signs not formulated clearly?
Maybe you see room for inprovements or a change in layout?
Let us know in the reactions to this post.

Or alternatively; if you do not know how to fix something but want to point out an issue (about spawn), make sure to let us know so we can all brainstorm on how to improve.

Help us help you :)
Try to post constructive ideas and keep things real
Wout
Senior
Senior
Minecraft Name: Wout

21 Apr 2019, 12:01

I think we should force players to use a region pole. Like tp them to a room underneath the Central region pole after they finished the quiz. We can make another 'fake' region pole there. This fake one would still work because region poles don't check what y value the player is on. Just the x and z. So the only way to get out of this room is using the /visit. In the room we'd explain how to use it ofc. If we do it like this, they are forced to read the signs, just like the quiz orbs.
We could tell them to do /visit central (while already being in central) so they tp to the real pole.

Also, I think the area around the region pole has to change, it is too symmetrical and you get turned around easily. Maybe moving the INFO center closer to the pole and having a map of Central there could be a good start. So after they completed the region pole room, they look straight at the new info center.
We could move the region pole up a few blocks too so you have a better view when visiting the region.
LayaElisabeth
Senior
Senior
Minecraft Name: LayaElisabeth

21 Apr 2019, 12:06

I myself wish to move the INFO center in 1 of the roads, so you only have 3 roads going out and the 4th entry lead straight into the info center so you can at least see the pole from inside the build, and vice-versa.
I also believe it might be better to move the info center to the south side as Region pole tp's force players facing south, so at the current placement players have to do a 180° turn (even i have a habit of walking the wrong way at central and then having to turn back XD )

Added in 3 minutes 37 seconds:
another thing i'm thinking of is using more orbs to not only get rules through, but also help as guidance; Like an orb with a Mapart picture of the pole, and then 3 actual designed poles where they have to choose the right one with signs again.. That way we can introduce players to the tp system Before they are "freed" at the INFO center so they already know what to look for.
veeeSix
Senior
Senior
Minecraft Name: veeeSix

21 Apr 2019, 14:41

I'm all in favour of adjusting the Central entrance. Every direction looks the same and I never ended up finding the info center. I initially went just to visit the Cathedral and took a full day cycle to find.
iron621
Old Hermit
Old Hermit
Minecraft Name: iron62

21 Apr 2019, 16:06

I think that when a new player spawns, a book should be placed in their inventories. The book should have all the rules and where the resource world portals are. It should also tell them how to get started and finding a wilderness region. I think that there are a lot of signs that some people just don't want to take the time to read, so maybe it would be best to think of another way to tell them this info.

These are just some of my ideas.. I know a lot of people ask where the resource portals are and the rules.
Do or do not there is no try
Kolas
Hermit
Hermit
Minecraft Name: kolas32613

22 Apr 2019, 13:25

Another thing we can do is to have a video explaining stuff like how to find the region poles, resource world, some public farms and other places of importance. It is often easier to explain (and understand) some of the stuff like locating region poles verbally instead of reading (in chat or signs or book). The video can also explain some rules regarding mining in various areas briefly. Confused players can watch multiple times if they don't understand at first.

Also the video on screen will show lots of these things in action so players will have lot less doubts. Video like this would be around 5 mins and can be refered to by players as well. I know videos exist explaining population density but having a server specific video would be lot more helpful.
We also have many players who make youtube videos, including hayan, so someone can make a video in their free time if possible.
Finding answers to your questions is a part of the Blockhermit experience.
Self-VoDsBETA
Old Hermit
Old Hermit
Minecraft Name: Tigsu

22 Apr 2019, 13:40

I believe all the points above are excellent ideas but I've also recently noticed how some players want to go back to the start to reread the rules occasionally which I found interesting. A way to go back to the beginning (or even some sort of room with the same rules just placed in the same domain would work) then it would be easier to reread them but that's what I've noticed.

Also, I do agree with Central being a bit too hard to navigate. It's an epic place but hard to find what you're looking for unless you've been there multiple times.
"Bad guy right? I didn't just misread that?"
"It’s a high-speed chase and you just had to have the four by four didn’t you."
"I'm a little behind the times, but I believe the term you're searching for is 'OMG'."
FatefulCello
Fresh Hermit
Fresh Hermit
Minecraft Name: FatefulCello

23 Apr 2019, 15:54

Hi there,

So I have an idea, and it might not be a good one, or it could be but here it is.

What about a tutorial island?

Most games start you out on a tutorial island. On tutorial island they spawn into a room where they have to take a "lite" quiz, just enough to get them started. After they take the quiz and pass, they could get a "Blockhermit for Dummies" book. Then they can play, build, go to the resource worlds, end and the nether from tutorial island. Just a dedicated place for new players. Kind of like making them live in an East Town/South town esque place. But, they wont be able to place/break anything in other regions, nor will they be able to make claims in other regions. If they want to claim a region, become mayor and stuff, they have to complete a bigger quiz to get off the island and graduate to full fledged hermit. The quiz would test their knowledge. If we do it like this, we allow them to start playing but keep it simple for new players and if they then decide they like it, at that point they can read more signs and become a full hermit.

There could be some down sides to this, such as them being impatient, wanting all the perks. However, think
about this. How many claims do you guys have to monitor for mayorship before its even ready? How many mayorship claims get approved for new hermits who just leave. How many people have opened their regions up to the new people to be stolen from, or rules were broken (xray) and they are banned. Maybe having a designated area for the new players to learn the server would be beneficial.

The island could have food on it, some portals to select areas, stuff like that, without all the overwhelming of the full server access. And if you guys surrounded the region pole off tutorial island with a build, that requires you answer questions to move further into the fortress, then players cant just "oopsie" out of it. And then not have an actual region pole accessible to them on the island unless they go through the test of a full hermit? And maybe the island is surrounded by a wall they cant get over or under so they have to either pass the hermit test, or they have to play on the island. And if they fail the questions to the hermit test, they get teleported back to the door of the build where they have to start over with their test. then they cant just click through stuff, they actually have to read/remember.

top asked questions that I see are:
where do i find food
where can i build a base
how do i find a region
what's a region pole
how do i visit somewhere?
is there a place i can start
how do i claim stuff
how do i claim a region?
where do i find the resource world
can i mine here? where do i mine
begging
getting lost in the resource world
unclear on what the actual rules are such as no xraying no begging, etc.

Having a tutorial island might help clear up a good percentage of these questions, and help fill the gap between senior and player.

Anyway guys, just a thought!
Wout
Senior
Senior
Minecraft Name: Wout

23 Apr 2019, 15:57

What an excellent idea o.O
DerpStar85
Hermit
Hermit
Minecraft Name: DerpStar85

24 Apr 2019, 15:38

Hello fellow hermits,
An idea I have to improve this is to make a central square in the middle of central, which is a decently sized area with the most important buildings on each of its sides, ex. the cathedral on one, the different central shops on others, and the mining portals on the other. Having these things on each side also allows players to give directions such as “go in the direction of the cathedral to get to smoothies”
Don’t be a cookie! You don’t want the cookie monster eating ya!