More fun with lava in the Nether  [SOLVED]

If you've run into a glitch or server error, please let us know here.
Blanchdog
Fresh Hermit
Fresh Hermit
Minecraft Name: Blanchdog

29 Jul 2019, 22:21

The story that's been told a thousand times; I fell in lava in the nether, died, then didn't get my stuff back. This time was weird though. At first I wasn't sure I would be able to find the place again so I asked for help, but quickly got my bearings and arrived at the site of my death with fire resist.

I know my stuff had not despawned because I could hear it "burning" (protected items still play the burn sound effect despite not being destroyed). It was a small (like 6x6) area of lava so I thought "great! I'm going to get my stuff back" and hopped in with fire resist. I swam every square inch of that lava pool and found nothing, despite continually hearing the burn sound effect. I hopped out to make sure it wasn't just a new sound for me burning even though I had fire resist, and it wasn't, so I kept on searching until the burn sound effect ceased, which marked the complete despawning of my items.

Maaaaaaaybe I just missed them even with all my swimming, but I think this may be something more along the lines of the invisible block glitch that currently plagues 1.14, where a block [item] is invisible to the player and interacts with some elements of the game and not others, leading the game to treat the items as existing for purposes of sound effects, but rendering them invisible and unable to be interacted with.

If anyone is interested in trying to recreate the glitch it's worth a shot, though I'd suggest doing it near the world border like I was as that may have an effect on what happens. If you would like to see it in the logs it happened roughly 20 minutes before I posted this, and occurred in the lava pit at -569, - 370.

If possible i'd like to get my stuff back, the most valuable of which included an Eff V Unbr III Mending Shovel, an ax with the same enchants + Silk touch, a pick with the same enchants as the shovel + fortune III, a Sword with all the 1.13 enchants named Oathbringer, Maxed diamond armor with feather falling on the boots and protection on the boots, fire protection and thorns III on the pants, a full enchanted elytra, and a max enchants helmet with protection. I also had a shulker of white glass, an empty shulker, a stack of nether quartz blocks, and 3-4 stacks of nether quartz.

Thanks for taking the time to read such a long post!

Added in 2 minutes 45 seconds:
Clarification on the Sword: Oathbringer had all the 1.13 enchants with the Sharpness V option, it was not a "god-tier" sword with Sharpness, Smite, and Bane on it.
Blanchdog
Fresh Hermit
Fresh Hermit

01 Aug 2019, 21:17

Bumpity Bump Bump Bumpity Bump Bump look at Frosty g-- wait a minute I live in a jungle biome.
Floki_Raven
Junior
Junior
Minecraft Name: Floki_Raven

02 Aug 2019, 10:07

The nether is a dangerous place, dont take your valuables there. I have an enderchest by the portal and disrobe before ever entering. I lost one elytra there in a similiar incident several months ago.
Floki_Raven

I came into this world kicking and screaming while covered in someone elses blood, and i have no problem with going out the same way.
Blanchdog
Fresh Hermit
Fresh Hermit

05 Aug 2019, 01:39

So no dice on getting my stuff back?
Cobbett
Senior
Senior
Minecraft Name: Cobbett

05 Aug 2019, 13:31

As items being protected in lava is just an unplanned side-effect of the protection plugin we use, sorry no refunds. It would be considered a normal loss in vanilla.